Backe Chair in Renewable Energy
U.A. Whitaker College of Engineering
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
The U.A. Whitaker College of Engineering at Florida Gulf Coast University has an opening for the FGCU Backe Chair in Renewable Energy. Located in the beautiful, mid-sized city of Fort Myers, Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) is a public, comprehensive university offering a wide range of undergraduate and selected graduate degree programs. Opened in the fall of 1997, FGCU is in the enviable position of having new facilities that have been especially designed and built for a campus of the 21st century.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: an earned doctoral degree from an accredited institution, a record of significant scholarly achievement related to renewable energy – including solar energy, a record of highly effective teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and eligibility to be appointed as a Full Professor in the U.A. Whitaker College of Engineering.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: a demonstrated ability to mentor junior faculty and undergraduate/graduate students, a demonstrated ability to establish effective interdisciplinary research collaborations, a demonstrated ability to collaborate successfully with companies, government agencies, and other academic institutions and demonstrated entrepreneurial skills. Candidates should possess skills for working in a rapidly developing regional comprehensive university with a focus on creating an effective student learning environment among diverse academic disciplines.
The Backe Chair will be expected to:
- Be an eminent scholar who is able to advance the research, teaching and outreach missions of the Emergent Technologies Institute and the University.
- Collaborate effectively with the engineering, science and business programs at the University.
- Secure external support to conduct fundamental and applied research projects.
- Develop cross-disciplinary projects to support current faculty research strengths.
- Provide high-quality instruction in selected undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Lead the continued development of a university-wide Emergent Technologies Institute (ETI), a new 25,000 ft2 facility that will open in early 2016, with special emphasis on renewable energy (including solar energy), and develop its mission, vision and strategic plan for its future growth.
- Organize and conduct outreach activities, including demonstration projects, seminars, symposia, community outreach, and other activities focused on cultivating interest and awareness of renewable energy for Southwest Florida.
- Increase research funding significantly from federal, state, industry and private sources.
- Support the efforts of the local Economic Development Councils to attract industry partners in renewable energy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Candidates for this position should have a history of success in sponsored research related to renewable energy (including solar energy) and sustainable environmental practices, proven ability to form and lead interdisciplinary research teams, demonstrated ability to mentor and supervise students at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, and clear evidence of being a highly effective teacher. Candidates should have a strong record of securing and leading substantial externally funded research projects. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential. Candidates should be entrepreneurial and interact effectively with groups external to the University, including businesses, the public, and local, state and federal agencies.
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit our Self-Managed Online Application Resource (SOAR) at http://jobs.fgcu.edu for posting details, EEO/AA policies, and application instructions. Only applications entered into SOAR will be accepted. Persons with disabilities needing an accommodation to participate in the application/selection process should contact the Director of Human Resources at (239) 590-1400 or TTY (239) 590-1450, a minimum of 5 working days in advance of the application deadline.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 30, 2015. QUESTIONS? Please contact Dr. Robert O’Neill, email@example.com, Backe Chair search committee chair, Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering, Florida Gulf Coast University.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Employer
FGCU is committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes all applicants.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/h45nnyvknm