The Manager of Research & Scholarships reports directly to the President & CEO. This position is responsible for management of the research and scholarships programs, as well as providing management and technical support to the Internal Research Program.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
* Manage the processes for research proposal and scholarship application submissions
* Coordinate the identification and selection of reviewers for submitted materials
* Assist with negotiation and contracting of research grants
* Manage awarded research projects, including validation of progress, financial status, and proctoring review of final research reports
* Coordinate communication and potential opportunities with existing scholarship recipients
* Write summaries of EREF research and scholarship research efforts, including aggregation of efforts and results from multiple projects
* Conduct literature reviews on technical topics and summarize research findings
* Write articles highlighting research findings that are suitable for publication in trade journals and elsewhere
* Plan related meetings, such as Research Council meetings, project review visits, and scholarship award ceremonies.
* Pursue and prepare technically oriented grant applications for receiving funding from other funding institutions (e.g. US EPA, US DOE, State agencies, etc.)
* Assist with managing one or more Internal Research Program projects, including the management of college interns
* Support EREF’s communications efforts by providing technical content from EREF grants and scholars that is suitable for consumption by lay audiences in various formats.
* Collaborate with cross-functional department/program leads to develop content that demonstrates a value-add to stakeholders and showcases the organization’s mission.
* Review research reports and reports from EREF’s Internal Research Program.
* Travel required (typ. 4-8 times/year for 1-2 days)
* PhD (or a Master’s of Science degree with 3+ years of technical solid waste-related experience), preferably in environmental science, environmental/civil engineering, or a related field
* Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
* Excellent technical writing skills (publication in peer reviewed journals is highly preferred)
* Experience in preparing technically-oriented grant proposals is preferred but not required
* Motivation to take initiative and work well both independently and collaboratively
* Excellent proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications.
The position is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including retirement, health insurance, long/short term disability, life insurance and vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Program Manager” in the subject line of your e-mail.
The Environmental Research & Education Foundation (EREF) is a non-profit research institution located in Raleigh, NC whose mission is to fund and direct research and educational initiatives related to developing sustainable solid waste management practices. We are one of the largest sources of funding for solid waste research in the United States, with focus areas that include:
* Waste minimization
* Recycling and re-use/recovery
* Environmental policy analysis
* Waste treatment and disposal practices (e.g. waste to energy, landfills, composting)