Water-Energy Lead Scientist - 82157
Organization: AU-Earth & Environmental Sciences
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Lab has an opening for a Water-Energy Lead Scientist. Building on its historic strength of team science in tackling complex challenges that require integration of varied expertise, LBNL is setting out to develop knowledge and approaches to guide optimized investments in water-energy systems and infrastructure, with the recognition that energy systems are vulnerable to water availability, that fresh water sustainability is vulnerable to energy availability, and that science and technology is needed to optimize coupled energy-water systems. Qualified candidates will possess a unique ability to merge long-term scientific vision with creative and dynamic leadership skills necessary for developing new directions in tackling water-energy challenges.
• Pursue outstanding personal scientific research agenda aligned with Water-Energy @ Scale, such as next generation desalination, other energy/cost efficient water strategies, sustainable water resources, water quality and efficiency and their association with energy strategies, or climate and ecosystem readiness.
• Engage with and lead scientific community activities related to Water-Energy @ Scale.
• Optimize and expand portfolio of multidisciplinary proposals addressing the strategic Water-Energy @ Scale priorities. Identify critical research collaborations with other Berkeley Lab scientific disciplines, fellow national laboratories, academic institutions, and public and private sector entities.
• Articulate and develop the Water-Energy long-term and short-term scientific/technical project and program goals.
• Oversee the recruitment and retention of national and international talent.
• Lead team of multidisciplinary researchers to execute scientific, technical and program development strategies.
• Develop and oversee the implementation of the strategic plan for the Water-Energy @ Scale Center.
• Develop and maintain network of government, municipal, academic, and industry contacts that lead to discovery of new opportunities in water-energy.
• Represent Berkeley Lab Water-Energy efforts within Berkeley Lab as well as to UC Berkeley and other UCs, UCOP, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), other relevant federal and state agencies, and internal groups.
What Is Required:
• Ph.D in geosciences, chemistry, material sciences, physics, hydrology, climate sciences, engineering, or related area.
• Recognized as an expert leader with a national and international reputation in water-energy related scientific, engineering or technical field. Outstanding track record of scientific and technical accomplishments, including publications in reputable journals.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills and ability to work with diverse set of scientific and non-technical stakeholders.
• Demonstrated skills in intellectual leadership, communication of complex scientific concepts, management of multi-disciplinary teams.
• Must be intuitive and possess the ability to challenge the status quo and find synergy from different ideas and approaches, develop approaches required for successful implementation, and mitigate constraints affecting success.
• Experience in strategic planning associated with complex challenges requiring diverse expertise.
• Successful track record of developing initiatives and programs, obtaining funding to support staff and the ability to develop and maintain an independent research program.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
Notes: This is a career appointment. This position requires completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=69140 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".