A Postdoctoral Researcher position is available for an 18-month NSF Partnerships for Innovation project. The postdoc will lead pilot tests of an ammonia recovery system called vacuum stripping and absorption (VaSA). It's planned to start on September 1st, 2021 for one month of prototype tuning at Syracuse, New York, perform batch VaSA tests with landfill leachate for 3 months at Wabash, Indiana, perform batch VaSA tests with anaerobic digester effluent, liquid dairy manure, and manure digestate at a water resource recovery facility in central California for 7 months, and conduct technology development with a small, modified system in Syracuse in the last 3 months. The postdoc researcher will work closely with a GHD group, two industry partners, and an academic collaborator, supervise graduate assistants (including a Master's student for anaerobic digestion of dairy manure) and undergraduate interns, participate in application for VaSA-related R&D (e.g., SBIR/STTR proposal), and draft manuscripts based on results of the pilot tests and lab experiments. A Tech Commercialization Expert and I will mentor the postdoc for advancing entrepreneurial and technology transfer capabilities.
- PhD in environmental/chemical/biosystems engineering; biotechnology/environmental science or related field with an BS or MS/ME degree;
- Driver's license to move and ability to batch operate a working prototype (30" diameter 48" height vacuum stripper with a holdup of 250 L plus accessories);
- Capability to solve problems immediately, independently in the field;
- Familiarity with using portable meters and hand tools, doing wet chemistry lab analysis, and being mindful in lab/field QA/QC; and
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with industry and academic partners.
- Experience with water resource recovery processes, especially anaerobic digestion and liquid-gas sorption/desorption; and
- Passion for technology transfer.
This position will initially be for one year and renewed for 6-12 months upon satisfactory performance. The goal is also to lead further tech development and commercialization efforts. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates who can start in September 2021 are strongly preferred. Only short-listed candidates will be Zoom-interviewed shortly after receiving the application file. Interested candidates please email me (https://watertao.wixsite.com/wastewater) at firstname.lastname@example.org in a single pdf file including (1) a brief cover letter, (2) a CV, and (3) contact information of at least 2 references (must include PhD supervisor). There is no need to send me the full text of your publications.