A postdoctoral researcher position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Thomas Bridgeman at the University of Toledo.
The project is supported by the US Army Corps Engineers. The successful candiate will conduct research on the ability of a new class of algal fluorometers to identify and track the lysis of cyanobacterial cells and corresponding release of cell-bound cyanotoxins into water. The post-doc will work closely with other UT investigators as well as water treatment plant staff and will help to prepare reports to author scientific publications for submission to peer-reviewed journals using results from lab and Lake Erie studies.
- PhD in Environmental or Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Microbiology, Environmental Engineering, or related field.
- Familiarity with photosynthesis and algal pigments, photochemistry
- Familiarity with fluorometric measurement of photosynthesis and algal pigments
- Familiarity with cyanobacteria and issues surrounding cyano-harmful algal blooms
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with water utility managers
- Experience with all phases of writing scientific manuscripts from data collection, statistical analysis and interpretation and drawing conclusions based on results. Must have track record in peer-reviewed science publication. Must be able to independently produce first drafts of papers suitable for submission to scientific journals.
- Experience with culturing and working with cyanobacteria.
- Experience or comfort on boats in open waters.
- Independently carry out statistical analysis using specialized software, e.g. Excel, Access, R.
- Further, this person must have experience and be comfortable presenting and writing about results and conclusions of data collection and analysis to scientific audiences. The person in this position must work well as a team member.
- Drivers license valid in Ohio
Communication and other skills:
- Experience in authoring peer-reviewed scientific publications in the area of algal fluorometry
- Data management in Excel, Access and basic statistical software (e.g. R)
- Ability to work as a team member
- Ability to make on-the-ground decisions in the field without immediate input from supervisor.
- Ability to communicate basic scientific results to scientific colleagues and lay audiences, i.e., ability to present posters and talks at conferences and meetings.
The position will initially be for one year but can be extended upto three years.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested candidates please send (1) a brief cover letter, (2) a CV, (3) contact information of at least 2 references, (4) a copy of recent publication (if applicable) or other supporting documents, in a single PDF file to Prof. Thomas Bridgeman (Thomas.Bridgeman@utoledo.edu)